VisitErie Reports Record Visitor Numbers
2022 Erie Tourism Industry Outperforms 2021
Erie, Pa.: Erie's tourism industry bounced back from the pandemic years in a big way in 2022. VisitErie, Erie County's official destination marketing organization, is reporting record numbers for Erie County visitor traffic and trends. The 2022 figures have surpassed 2021 and pre-pandemic 2019 numbers, showing significant increases in hotel occupancy and percentage of overnight visitors.
Erie County's tourism industry 2022 important milestones include:
- The average percentage of visitors who stayed overnight in 2022 was 62.38%, a substantial 17% increase from 2021.
- Average visitor spending was $178, a 13% increase from 2021.
- The average hotel occupancy in 2022 was 51.8%, a 4.2% increase from 2021.
- VisitErie's share of the Erie County collected hotel tax revenue was $2,656,401 million, 22% higher than 2021 and the highest ever recorded revenue.
- The average daily rate (ADR) for the year was $115, a 6% increase from 2021.
VisitErie President and CEO John Oliver stated, "Erie County experienced significant visitor growth in 2022, a tremendous accomplishment. These record numbers are proof that visitors have resumed their travel habits and are making their way to our beautiful shores. As Erie's tourism product continues to evolve, progress, and expand, we are confident that this positive momentum will carry into 2023 and beyond."
The visitor data analyzed was compiled through Smith Travel Research reports and Zartico Destination Operating System®, a national research company that uses anonymous cell phone geolocation data to track visitor activity. Using this information, VisitErie can study various Erie County visitor trends, including what markets visitors are coming from, how long they are staying, what they spend their money on and what they are doing while here. The valuable information generated also allows the organization to look at visitor activity for specific seasons, geographic regions, or significant events.